Nathan C. Yoes (Sr.) and John Yoes

South Carolina/Tennessee/Louisiana

Sponsored by the Racing Pigeon Digest

By Henry E. "Gene" Yoes III

The first Yoeses that we can conclusively trace as ancestors of any present day Yoes are Nathan Carroll Yoes and his presumed brother, John Yoes. The two appeared in Spartanburg, South Carolina, in 1800. However, they were not in Spartanburg in 1790. They married the Connell sisters - Susannah and Letticia, daughters of Giles Connell and Elizabeth Gibbs.

Nathan and John and their families moved to Robertson County, Tennessee sometime before or during 1802. The first entry for John in Robertson County was April 19, 1802; the first entry for Nathan was July 20, 1803. Some of the Connell family had moved there previously- the first legal entry for them was in 1798, when both Giles (Jr) and William were mentioned in a land purchase. (See Robertson County, Tennessee, Court Minutes, 1796-1807 by Carol Wells.)

It is most interesting that this was the same county in which a James Yoes of North Carolina had redeemed a Revolutionary War land warrant in 1796 for his military service.

Tennessee Cousins by Worth S. Ray notes that a Col. Benjamin Elliott lived on Brush Creek, and that two of his neighbors were John and James Yoes.

At this time we don't know if either Nathan or John (or both) took over James' tract, but there is no doubt that it is most coincidental that people with such an unusual surname, with no previous identification with Robertson County, Tennessee, should be connected there in just a period of five years or less, and be neighbors.

After 1820, Nathan moved to East Feliciana Parish, Louisiana, where he died. John also left Robertson County, but we are unsure of where he went.

South Carolina

The first mention we find of Nathan and John Yoes is in 1800 in the census of Spartanburg, South Carolina. Spartanburg, SC is located in the northwest portion of the state. The Spartanburg County Public Libraries provided the following description of the county's history:

The up-country of South Carolina, which includes Spartanburg County, was ceded to the English by the Cherokee Indians in 1755. Spartanburg was the frontier next to the Cherokee Nation. Among the earliest settlers in Spartanburg County were the Scots-Irish immigrants from Pennsylvania, the Indian traders, and the cowmen. At first, they lived in peace with the Cherokee Indians, but because of conflict during the Indian Wars, they built several forts -- including Fort Prince, Gowen's Fort, and Fort Nichols. In 1776, the present-day boundary between Greenville County and Spartanburg County was established to separate the white man's territory from the Cherokee nation.

The Old Spartan District was a hotbed of action during the Revolutionary War, including a bloody civil war between Tories and patriots. The Battle of Cowpens in 1781 was a pivotal battle of the Revolution. The Americans were led by General Daniel Morgan, whose military strategy is still admired today. A monument to Morgan stands in the city's square.

Following the organization of the United States, the economy in the Spartanburg District turned to cotton and the development of textile mills, which drew on the abundant water power in the Piedmont. Most farms were small, and therefore were not as dependent on slave labor, unlike the huge plantations in South Carolina's low country.

Nathan (Sr) is listed as the head of his South Carolina household in 1800. He is listed as being between 26 and 45 years old. Thus, he could have been born anytime between 1755 and 1774 (before the Revolutionary War.) In his household, there was one woman over 45 (i.e. born before 1755,) another woman between the ages of 16 to 26 (born between 1774-1784,) and two boys - one between the ages of 10 and 16 and one under 10 years of age.

Also living in Spartanburg in 1800 was John Yoes. He was listed as a head of household and was between 16 and 26 years old in 1800 -- thus he would have been born between 1774 and 1784. A woman (presumed to be his wife) was listed in the same age range. He had no one else in his household.

The information from the census indicated that the age range between Nathan and John could be anywhere from 1 to 29 years. Since their wives were sisters, we can presume that they were close in age, and were therefore probably brothers.

It would be logical that the younger woman in Nathan's household was his wife. Information from Nathan's family Bible indicates that Nathan's first child was born December 24, 1800. Thus, the two young boys living in Nathan's household were probably not his children. The older of the two was born between 1784 and 1790, while the second boy was born between 1790 and 1800. Perhaps the younger boys were Nathan's younger brothers.

If Nathan were closer to age 26 , then Nathan would have fathered the older boy in his household when he was only 10 to 16. But if Nathan was at the other end of the possible age range -- closer to 54 years old -- then these could be his children from an earlier marriage. But why weren't these children listed in the family bible, which listed all of Nathan and Susan's children? And if he were closer to 54, then he would have been 70 when he fathered Nathan (Jr) in 1817.

It is possible that the older woman was Nathan's mother, and that his father had passed away. We know his wife's father died in 1804, so it is doubtful the older woman was his mother-in-law.

Spartanburg is almost on the North Carolina border and is located northeast of Greenville. I secured the history of Spartanburg, South Carolina and learned that most of the residents of that area were from North Carolina and Virginia. Assuming that there had to be a name change, I looked primarily in those states for any Nathan that had a last name similar to the surname Yoes. In the 1790 North Carolina census, for the county of Anson, there was a Nathan Yoe who lived in the general vicinity of a William Yoe. Each was a head of household, but Nathan had no one living with him.

The North Carolina Nathan Yoe in 1790 could be a younger version of Nathan Yoes of South Carolina in 1800. Furthermore, the woman living with William Yoe was approximately ten years younger that the older woman living with Nathan Yoes in South Carolina. There is more evidence that this is the same household; there were male children in the household of William Yoe, which corresponded to ten-year younger versions of John Yoes and the two Yoes' boys that were living with Nathan in 1800. It is possible that Nathan was the eldest son of William Yoe and took in his mother and minor brothers after William's death.

We do know that Nathan and John married sisters. Nathan married Susan Connell and John married Lettice Connell. They were the daughters of Giles Connell (born 1740, died June 2, 1804 in South Carolina,) and Elizabeth Gibbs (baptized 1747, died June 14, 1822 in Port Royal, Tennessee.)

The Connell family came to Spartanburg from Virgina, with an intermediate stop in North Carolina. Giles and two (or possibly three) of his brothers came to the area early in its history, and were there in the 1790 census (the first of that area.) One of the Connell family researchers states that the brothers were Giles, Jesse, and George. The 1790 census also lists a Robert Connell. Their father was William and their mother was Elizabeth Tillet. Jesse served in the Revolutionary War, married a Nancy Lawson, and left Spartanburg with his nearly grown children to settle in Gallatin County, Kentucky by 1800. In the 1800 census, only Giles and George are still listed in Spartanburg.

Elizabeth Gibbs, born in North Carolina, was the daughter of James Gibbs, who died in Tyone County, North Carolina.

The South Carolina land deeds show that Yoes was sometimes spelled Yews and Yaes, and once Nathan was listed as Nathaniel:

"Mar. 7, 1800 Giles Connell Sr (Spartanburgh) to daughter Susanna Yews: give 200 ac:"

"Mar. 4, 1800 Giles Connell Sr (Spartanburgh) to daughter Lettice Yews: give 200 ac ......Witness......Nathan Yaes"

"Jan 30, 1801, John Yews (Spartanburgh) to John Simons; for $200 sold 200 ac....Signed John Yews Mark...Dower renounced Lettice Yews to I Harrison Feb 9, 1801"

"Dec. 7, 1803 Nathaniel Yoes (or Yews) (Robertson co, Tenn) to John Connell (Spartanburgh).....Signed Nathan Yoes"

"Jul 10, 1804 William Connell and Giles Connel for selves and by power of attorney from Willey Connell, alus Adhens, Susanna Connel, Alus Yews, Lettice Connell, Alus Yews, Elisa Connell, John Connell, and Elisabeth Connell, mother of above children and widow of late Giles Connel desc to Elijah Barnett (Spartanburgh) for $500 sold 200 ac ….. Witness.....Nathan Yoes, John Yoes..........."


Nathan and John next appeared in Robertson County, Tennessee.

Robertson County borders Kentucky, and prior to 1796 Robertson County was known as Tennessee County. In 1796 it was carved out under its present name. It is located north of Nashville, and its county seat is Springfield. The first white settlement in Robertson County was made by Thomas Kilgore on the Red River in 1779 . Kilgore's Station became an important settlement in the migration to Tennessee. Another early settlement in Robertson County was Miles Station, where a fort was built, close to where William and Giles Connell settled on Sulphur Fork. In 1799, the first courthouse was built of hand-hewn logs; the second was built of brick in 1819.

In 1800, the population was 4,280; in 1810, the county had grown to 7,270; and by 1820, the census showed 9,938. In 1812, Robertson counted 852 able-bodied men, and divided into fifteen militia companies. Whiskey and tobacco were the major industries of early Robertson County. (Goodspeed's History of Tennessee, 1886.)

Excerpts from the court records minute book of Robertson County indicate that John was there before April 1802 and Nathan before July 1803. Among the legal records, we note the following:

April 19th, 1802-John Yoes appointed Constable;

April 25th, 1802 James Stewart fo oversee road… hands…….Johan Yoes;

January 19th, 1803 Order Wm Atkins, James Atkins, Robert Perry, Pray Whipple, John Foster, John Yoes, Wm Gossett be patrollers for Capt. Blackwell's Company; they shall meet & ride at least once a month and oftener if they think necessary.

April 13, 1803 - Deed William Atkins to John Yoes 100 acres proven by Wm Connell.

November 5, 1804-Power/att John Yoes, Wm Atkins, & Nathan Yoes to Wm & Jiles Connell proven by Pray Phipple. On June 2, 1804, a power of attorney record indicates that Giles Connell (then deceased) was the father-in-law for both Nathan and John. This instrument also states that there were two brothers-in-law in Tennessee with them.

November 4, 1805-Deed James Hodges to John Yoes 640 acres proven by William Connell

August 5, 1806. At an election held for the county of Robertson for the purpose of electing a sheriff for the ensuing two years, after the poles were closed & votes counted out, John B. Cheatham was duly & constitutionally elected, who gave bone in the sum of 12000 dollars with John Yoes….his securities….

November 3, 1806
Nathan Yoes records his stock mark (brand) as "a cross & slit in the left ear & cross & under bit in the right." John Yoes records his stock mark as "a cross & slit in the right ear & a cross & slit in the left."

April 5, 1808 Nathan acquired 100 acres from John for $150, on Brush Creek

June 23, 1808-John Berry sells Nathan Yoes, three acres of land on Brush Creek

December 12, 1810, John sells Nathan a few acres on the Brush Creek of the Sulphur fork

March 25, 1816 Nathan buys 71 acres from John for $250.

April 26, 1824-Nathan Yoes sells four slaves to his son Giles C. Yoes-Patty, Silas, Essex & Lamew for $1000.

June 21, 1824-Nathan Yoes sells Giles C. Yoes 140 acres, and part of the description includes a reference to neighboring property owned by John Yoes, indicating John was still there.

In addition there are other notations such as the two serving as jurors in trials, being witnesses.

Nathan and John served in the Tennessee militias, aka the Volunteers.

Nathan served as a private in the 1st Regiment, (Wynne's) West Tennessee Militia. COLONEL JOHN K. WYNN's unit was operating between October 1813 - January 1814, made up from men mostly from Wilson, Jackson, Robertson, Bedford, Lincoln, Montgomery, Sumner, and White Counties of Tennessee. Nathan was under Capt Robert Braden.

Colonel Wynn was a planter and politician from Wilson County who was serving as state senator at the time of the outbreak of the Creek War. His regiment was mustered in at Fayetteville, Tennessee in early October 1813 and mustered out in early January 1814.

Along with Colonel McCrory's regiment, this unit was part of the brigade commanded by General Isaac Roberts. Wynn's regiment totaled approximately 417 men. They participated in Andrew Jackson's first campaign into Creek territory where they fought at the Battle of Talladega (9 November 1813). The Tennessee State Archives web page states:

Origins of the Creek War
For most Tennesseans who fought in the War of 1812, the Creek War was the War of 1812. The battles that Andrew Jackson fought in this conflict brought him national attention and provided the experience necessary to successfully fight the British at New Orleans.

For years the Creeks (or Muskogees as they are sometimes called) had been subjects of a government plan to "civilize" the southeastern tribes through the introduction of new economic and political institutions. This process involved a departure from a hunting-and-gathering society to one based on agriculture. It also meant the dismantling of clan rule within the tribe to be replaced by a national council established by white Indian agents. These concepts threatened the old order of Creek society and fomented a religious controversy within the tribe who saw their native ways being replaced by the ways of the white man. In addition, the Creeks felt threatened by the influx of settlers to the Mississippi Territory.

In 1811, a visit to the Creeks by the famed Shawnee chief, Tecumseh, ignited the controversy about how to deal with white encroachment. Tecumseh's dreams of an Indian confederacy advocated the rejection of white culture and a return to the "old" ways. While many Creeks adopted this stance, there were many that felt that opposition to white society would lead to disaster and, hence, this faction was labeled pro-white by the followers of the nativist movement. A civil war broke out between the two factions, which soon spilled over into the frontier population of the Southwest. At Fort Mims (in the vicinity of Mobile, Alabama) the warring faction of the Creeks, known as Red Sticks, slaughtered over 250 men, women, and children (composed of mixed-blood Indians and whites) in late August 1813. This event spread panic and fear throughout the Southwest, a region with a long history of Indian warfare. In response to this alarm, the Tennessee legislature called for 3,500 troops to quell the threatening Red Sticks. In the back of the minds of many Tennesseans (especially land speculators) was the thought that a military victory over the Creeks would lead to an acquisition of the long-coveted lands the Indians possessed.

Tennessee troops under Andrew Jackson rendezvoused at Fayetteville, Tennessee in early October 1813 for their first excursion into Creek territory. This army of 2,500 men marched to Huntsville (Alabama), crossed the Tennessee River at Ditto's Landing and established a supply base nearby named Fort Deposit. They next penetrated the rugged terrain of enemy territory and began construction of Fort Strother on the Coosa River at a spot known locally as the Ten Islands. Fort Strother became the main rendezvous point for the American armies during the Creek War.

Tallushatchee and Talladega
(3 and 9 November 1813)
Less than fifteen miles from Fort Strother lay the Creek village of Tallushatchee, where a large body of Red Sticks had assembled. Jackson ordered General John Coffee, along with a thousand mounted men, to destroy the town. On the morning of 3 November 1813, Coffee approached the village and divided his detachment into two columns: the right composed of cavalry under Colonel John Alcorn and the left under the command of Colonel Newton Cannon. The columns encircled the town and the companies of Captain Eli Hammond and Lieutenant James Patterson went inside the circle to draw the Creeks into the open. The ruse worked. The Creek warriors charged the right column of Coffee's brigade, only to retreat to their village where they were forced to make a desperate stand.

Coffee's army overpowered the Creeks and quickly eliminated them. Coffee commented that "the enemy fought with savage fury, and met death with all its horrors, without shrinking or complaining: no one asked to be spared, but fought as long as they could stand or sit." One of the Tennessee soldiers, the legendary David Crockett, simply said: "We shot them like dogs." The carnage ended in about thirty minutes. At least 200 Creek warriors (and some women) lay dead and nearly 100 prisoners, mostly women and children, were taken. American losses amounted to five killed and about forty wounded.

Shortly after Coffee's detachment returned to Fort Strother, Jackson received a plea for help from a tribe of allied Creeks at Talladega, who were besieged by a contingency of Red Sticks. Jackson responded to the call by mobilizing an army of 1,200 infantry and 800 cavalry and set out for the Creek fort at Talladega, arriving there in the early morning of 9 November. Using the same tactics that had worked at Tallushatchee, Jackson surrounded the town with a brigade of militia under General Isaac Roberts on the left and a brigade of volunteers led by General William Hall on the right. A cavalry detachment, under Colonel Robert Dyer, was held in reserve and an advance unit, led by Colonel William Carroll, was sent in to lure the Red Sticks out into the open. When the Creeks attacked the section of the line held by Roberts' brigade, the militia retreated allowing hundreds of warriors to escape. The gap was quickly filled by Dyer's reserves and Roberts' men soon regained their position. Within fifteen minutes the battle was over. At least 300 Creeks perished on the battlefield while American losses amounted to fifteen killed and eighty-six wounded. Jackson marched his troops back to Fort Strother to attend to his wounded and obtain desperately needed supplies.

Prior to the Battle of Talladega, Jackson had expected to rendezvous with an army from East Tennessee under the command of Major General John Cocke. However, jealousy and rivalry between the two divisions of the state prevented the hoped-for junction of the two forces. Cocke, in need of supplies for his own army, felt that joining Jackson would only make the supply situation worse (supply problems plagued the Tennesseans throughout the Creek War). Cocke insisted that his army seek its own "glories in the field."

John also served. He was listed on the roosters as John Yows, a private, under Col Thomas Williamson of the West Tennessee Volunteer Mounted Gunmen. He was in the 2nd Reg't Mounted Gunmen, Tennessee Volunteers. His captain was John Crane, who died January 23, 1815, and was replaced by Capt. John Crane. At the time, "west" Tennessee was really the middle Tennessee of today. The Tennessee State Archives provides the following information:

DESIGNATION: 2nd Regiment West Tennessee Volunteer Mounted Gunmen
DATES: September 1814 - April 1815
MEN MOSTLY FROM: Bedford, Davidson, Robertson, Rutherford, Sumner, Williamson, Wilson, Giles, and Smith Counties

Along with Colonel Robert Dyer's unit, this regiment was part of General John Coffee's brigade that fought at Pensacola and New Orleans. Marching from Fayetteville to Camp Gaines (30 miles from Fort Montgomery), they helped Jackson take the port of Pensacola from the Spanish on 7 November 1814. Williamson's men then participated in all of the engagements at New Orleans, where they were part of the left line of Jackson's breastworks. In March 1815 they returned to Tennessee via the Natchez Trace.

More Detailed History.
As a reward for his success in the Creek War, Jackson was commissioned a major general in the regular army (May 1814). After concluding negotiations with the Creeks, he turned his attention to the regions of Mobile and Pensacola. Mobile, lately in possession of the United States, was a possible point for the British to launch a campaign against New Orleans. Pensacola, in the Spanish-held province of West Florida, became a place of refuge for the remnants of the Red Sticks who sought arms and supplies from the Spanish and/or British to renew hostilities against the Americans. Great Britain planned to use the renegade Creeks to harass the southern frontier, thus keeping American forces occupied, while operations against New Orleans were conducted. Jackson's victory at Horseshoe Bend stymied these plans, but there were still enough fugitive Creeks in Florida to warrant Jackson's attention. His concern was heightened when the British, along with Red Stick allies, made an attempt to capture Fort Bowyer at Mobile Point in mid-September 1814. Although the attack was repulsed, it provided an excuse for Jackson to move against Spanish Pensacola, where the British task force originated.

Capture of Pensacola
(7 November 1814)
On the morning of 7 November 1814, Jackson's forces approached the town of Pensacola. Jackson's army for this excursion was a smaller version of the variety of forces he later commanded at New Orleans: detachments of U.S. Regulars (the 3rd, 39th, and 44th Infantry); Tennessee militia and mounted men; Mississippi Territory dragoons; and a party of Choctaw Indians. Jackson feigned an attack on the west side of the town while taking the bulk of his army to the eastern side. Spanish resistance was feeble and the British declined to get involved, leaving the port in several men-of-wars. Losses were minimal -- five Americans killed and ten wounded -- but the effect was enormous. With one stroke, Jackson all but eliminated the threat of British intrigue in Florida and scattered the remnants of the Red Sticks. At the same time, he made impossible future Spanish and British cooperation. He accomplished all of this without the sanction of the United States government, which did not want to provoke hostilities with neutral Spain (Spain, although England's ally, had never declared war on the United States). Jackson was now ready for his final destination of the War of 1812 -- New Orleans.

Battles for New Orleans
(December 1814 - January 1815)
After leaving a sizable portion of his army to occupy the various garrisons throughout the Mississippi Territory, Jackson arrived in New Orleans in early December to conduct the defense of the city that was to be the prize of Great Britain's southern campaign. Located above the mouth of the Mississippi River, New Orleans' strategic location and accumulated wealth offered a tempting prize to a British army fresh from its victory over Napoleon in Europe. Elite English forces faced Jackson's polyglot army of militia, frontier volunteers, U.S. regulars, pirates, free blacks, Creoles, and Choctaws. Although the famous Battle of New Orleans has been noted in song and celebration, the British assault on New Orleans was actually composed of several different engagements:

23 December 1814
Often referred to as the "night battle," this was the initial engagement between the British and American land forces at New Orleans. On the afternoon of 23 December, Jackson learned that a British force had made its way through the bayous to a plantation several miles south of the city. Jackson mobilized his forces and launched a daring attack at 8:00 p.m., leading the right wing (the 7th and 44th U.S. Infantry) while General John Coffee led his brigade of Tennessee mounted men on the left. The darkness of the night turned the fight into mass confusion, as friendly troops fired on each other and combat became hand-to-hand. By 11:00 p.m. the British gave ground but Jackson's forces did not pursue, as neither side could ascertain the other's strength. American losses were 24 killed and 115 wounded while the British suffered 46 killed and 145 wounded.

28 December 1814
The skirmish of the 23rd December had the effect of stemming the initial tide of the assaulting British forces and gave Jackson time to entrench his army. He established a line of defense along the Rodriguez Canal between the Macarte and Chalmette plantations. The line extended from the east bank of the Mississippi River more than a half-mile to a cypress swamp. On 28 December the British, under the overall command of Major General Sir Edward Pakenham, conducted a "reconnaissance in force" to test the strengths and weaknesses of what became known as Line Jackson. A combined force of artillery and infantry probed the American defenses and found that the left wing of Line Jackson was the most vulnerable. This portion of the line was manned by Major General William Carroll's Tennessee militia and volunteers, as well as Coffee's brigade. The inability of the English to mobilize heavier guns to the front put a halt to the attack. There were seven killed and eight wounded on the American side.

1 January 1815
As a result of the 28 December attack, Jackson fortified the left wing of his line and extended it into the woods of the cypress swamp, thus increasing its length to about a mile. Coffee's men, along with a detachment of Choctaw Indians, held the extreme left of the line. On the first day of January 1815, Pakenham once again gave orders to assault Line Jackson. The British planned to use their heavy artillery to make a breach in the line and put the American cannons out of commission. However, American batteries, some manned by crews of Jean Lafitte's pirates, proved to be more effective than the artillery of the British. In addition, English gunners ran short of ammunition (a problem that plagued them throughout the campaign at New Orleans). British infantry units attacked the extreme left of Jackson's line, but were repulsed by Coffee's brigade. The Americans lost eleven killed and twenty-three wounded.

8 January 1815
The morning of 8 January was cold and foggy. Before the sun could burn off the mist that lingered on the fields of Chalmette, a British signal rocket burst in the air and massed columns of English soldiers advanced toward the American lines. The American forces, about 4,000 on the line, opened up with their artillery and followed with a devastating volley of musket and rifle fire. The advance columns of the British army, aimed at the right flank of Line Jackson near the river and the left flank commanded by Major General William Carroll, were shattered and quickly routed. In less than two hours the battle was over. On the field lay about 1,500 dead and wounded British soldiers (another 500 were taken prisoner), including General Pakenham. American losses amounted to thirteen killed and thirty-nine wounded.

How did this catastrophe for the British occur? British operations faltered from the beginning. Plans to cross the Mississippi and capture the American artillery on the west bank of the river were delayed and the attack on the main line had failed by the time the west-bank mission was accomplished. The assault on Line Jackson was uncoordinated and rife with mistakes, perhaps the biggest being the British underestimation of the abilities of the American militia to withstand a bayonet charge. The initial success of the British on the extreme right of Line Jackson was not supported and reinforcements were diverted to an abortive attack on the center of Jackson's fortifications. Tennesseans, many of whom had seen action in the Creek War, repulsed the British regulars with a deliberate coolness and confidence hitherto not encountered by attacking British forces. Deadly American artillery fire, combined with the rifle and musketry, proved too much for the exposed English troops marching across the plains of Chalmette.

Much has been made of the fact that the Battle of New Orleans was fought after the Treaty of Ghent was signed (24 December 1814). However, the treaty had not yet been ratified and a British victory could have complicated the peace agreement. The enormity of the victory was a huge boost to the morale of the United States, giving the impression that America had won the War of 1812, when, in fact, it could be said that the war ended in a draw.

As for Jackson and his Tennesseans, they lingered in the camps at New Orleans until March 1815. Ironically, hundreds of Tennesseans who survived the rigors of battle succumbed to the deadly illnesses that permeated the camps of New Orleans after the battle. Jackson was proclaimed a national hero and embarked on a political career that eventually took him to the White House in 1828.

In the 1820 census of Robertson County, Tennessee, Nathan was listed as over 45 years of age, thus born before 1775. It also indicates he was born in America. He was listed as having three sons, six daughters, and five slaves. There is no record of an older woman.

John was listed as less than 45, meaning he was born after 1775. He was listed as having six sons, one daughter, and two slaves.


Nathan, Sr. and Susan eventually moved to East Feliciana Parish, Louisiana, where they both died in 1826. He died on September 19, 1826; we do not know her date of death.

East Feliciana Parish is located north of Baton Rouge, and borders the state of Mississippi. By 1729, the French began to settle this area where a small fort was built, called St. Reyne aux Tonicas. Settlement did not begin in earnest until about 1770. As a result of the "Second Battle of Baton Rouge" with the Spanish; the independent West Florida Republic was established. This republic became part of the U.S. in late 1810. The area of New Feliciana parish had grown so populated that by 1824, it was divided into East and West Feliciana Parishes.

According to Bible records, (Bible belonging to Mrs. Emmett White, Baton Rouge, La.) Nathan C. Yoes, Sr. and Susan Yoes had the following children:

Giles C. Yoes, born December 4, 1800;
Elizabeth B. Yoes, born March 28, 1803;
Sally B. Yoes, born November 24, 1804;
Lettis C. Yoes, born September 28, 1806;
Polly Yoes, born June 22, 1808;
William L. Yoes, born April 19, 1810;
Susan Yoes, born December 6, 1811;
Lovinea Yoes, born October 4, 1813;
Nancy Yoes, born September 29, 1815; and
Nathan C. Yoes (Jr.), born December 21, 1817.

East Feliciana Parish has the probate records for Nathan. Nathan died without living a will. In an undated document, it is stated:

"The petition of George W. Beufort respectfully represents that Nathan Yoes lately died in this parish (To wit on the 19th of September 1826) Interstate leaving considerable property in said parish to which said property on succession there are eight legal heirs, the legitimate children of the said Nathan Yoes to wit Giles C. Yoes, Elizabeth Beauford Yoes represented by her husband the said George W. Beuford, and Sally Yoes who have arrived at the age of majority. Lettis Yoes Mary Yoes and Susan Yoes, minors above the age of puberty and Nancy Yoes and Nathan C. Yoes minors who have not arrived at the age of puberty and said petitioners further represents that it is the desire of said heirs to accept said estate with benefit of Inventory and that they are desirous that he your petitioner should administrate the said estate and that he is a auditor of said estate. Wherefore your petitioner prays your Honor that an Inventory of the said estate may be duly made according the law. That the said Mary Yoes Lettis Yoes and Susan Yoes minors above the age of majority as aforesaid may be cited to appear before your Honorable Court and to choose a Curator ad bono and a Curator adlitim and that your Honour will appoint and confirm the same and further that your Honour will appoint as tutor and under tutor to represent the interests of said Nancy Yoes and Nathan C. Yoes minors under the age of puberty as aforesaid and said petitioner further prays that he may be appointed administrator of said estate and that your Honour will do such other things in this behalf as shall appear just and equitable and your petitioner will ever pray.

Scott Buford

Comparing the names of the heirs to the family bible, we note that Polly, William and Lovena are not mentioned as legal heirs, perhaps indicating that they predeceased their parents. However, the succession lists a Mary, who is not listed in the bible. Apparently Mary was Polly, since the listing in the succession follows the chronicle age of the children listed in the bible. We do know that Giles was present for the inventory on October 18, 1826 but died before the succession was finalized.

The records show that on October 18, 1826, in a proceeding to determine who would be the curators for the minor children of Nathan and Susan, John Yoes was present as well as a Sarah Yoes and Sampson Yoes:

I, the judge aforesaid having legally assembled the following friends and connections in a family capacity (To with) G. W. Buford, Sarah Yoes, John Yoes, William Yoes, Isaac C Christmas and Sampson Yoes and Leonard Stroud, all connections of the minors aforesaid.."

So John is present, as is William, the son of Nathan, but we don't know who Sarah Yoes and Sampson Yoes are. Perhaps Sarah was the wife of either John or Sampson.

The estate was inventoried at $1,770.875 (that's right, eighty seven and one half cents.) The inventory is as follows: One claim or improvement of land where on NC Yoes resided

One mare
One horse
One yoke of oxen
One cart
One lot consisting of three plows
One barrow
One lot of tools
One lot consisting of ten weeding hoes
One lot consisting of four chopping axes
Two bells
One lot of old iron
Two ploughs
One log chain
One cross cut saw
Two sidesaddles
One man's saddle
Two bridles
One loom
One flare wheel
One large spinning wheel
One bread tray & sifter
One lot of castings consisting of three pots two ovens two skillets
One tea kettle four pair pot hooks one grid Iron
One half bushel and a coffee mill
One washing tub
One shotgun
One large family Bible
Three flat irons
Nine chains
One walnut table
One lot consisting of plates knives forks tea cups & saucers pitchers salt
One lot of razors and strap estimated at one dollar
One pair of shears
Twelve bottles
One bed & its furniture
One other bed and its furniture
One other bed & furniture
One other bed & furniture
Two sheets one blanket one-bed quilt
Two chests & one trunk
One candle stand
The crop of cotton and corn v Amongst the papers of the deceased are found the following (To wit)
One note of hand drawn by Giles C. Yoes in favor of Nathan Yoes for four Hundred dollars dated 26th of April 1824 an payable 1st of Jan 1826
One other note drawn by Giles C. Yoes in favor of Nathan Yoes for Five hundred dollars dated 26th of April 1824 and payable 1st Jan 1828
One order drawn by Joseph Howel in favor of H. Turner or bearer On W. Lawkins for twelve dollars dated 15th of March 1825
One order drawn by Giles C. Yoes & Gary W. __________ Joseph Howel In favor of Nathan Yoes for one dollar and fifty cents
An account standing open against John Yoes amounting to eighty-five dollars Thirty-seven & one half cents

The succession records show that Elizabeth Beauford Yoes married George W. Buford and Sally married Leonard Noble. The aforesaid bible indicates that: Lettis C Yoes married Williamson Kitchen on April 19, 1832; Nancy Yoes married John Kitchen on December 28, 1834. Another genaologists says that Mary "Polly" Yoes married Simeon J. Hatcher. Nathan Carroll Yoes Jr married Mary Estelle Humblot.

Finally, since Tennessee is listed as the birthplace of several Yoes members, it is interesting to note the years of birth of Nathan and Susan's children and compare them to census records noting places of birth and years (calculated by subtracting the ages from the census year)

Nathan and Susan's children and their years of birth are:

Giles C. Yoes, born December 4, 1800;
Elizabeth B. Yoes, born March 28, 1803;
Sally B. Yoes, born November 24, 1804;
Lettis C. Yoes, born September 28, 1806;
Polly Yoes, born June 22, 1808;
William L. Yoes, born April 19, 1810;
Susan Yoes, born December 6, 1811;
Lovinea Yoes, born October 4, 1813;
Nancy Yoes, born September 29, 1815; and
Nathan C. Yoes (Jr.), born December 21, 1817.
The 1860 census has a W. B. Yoes, of Mississippi, being born in Tennessee in approximately 1802. The same census has J. C. Yoes, of Texas, being born in Tennessee in approximately 1812. The 1870 census has Conrod Yoes, of Arkansas, being born in Tennessee in approxiamtly 1805. Whose children were they of - John, Nathan's presumptive brother?